What is the Oxford Laidlaw Scholars Programme?
The Oxford Laidlaw Scholars Programme enables undergraduate students to develop research and leadership skills and work together on local and global projects as part of the SDG Impact Lab.
Who can apply?
The programme lasts 18-months and is open to first-year undergraduate students at the University of Oxford.
- Acquire research impact skills as a student Fellow of the SDG Impact Lab
- Develop your understanding and practice of good leadership through workshops delivered by the Oxford Character Project
- Work together on local and global impact projects
- Establish global connections as part of the Laidlaw network of Scholars from 17 leading universities
- Use your special talent or 'superpower' to deliver a programme of extra-curricular activities in a local school in areas such as music, drama, debating, languages, science or sport
- Receive a generous stipend of £3,000 for each year (a total of £6,000) for the above
What does the programme entail?
- Oxford group leadership retreat
- Leadership training sessions on Tuesday evenings during Trinity Term
- A local research impact project in September/October
- Laidlaw International Scholars Conference in October
- Leadership training sessions on Tuesday evenings during Michaelmas Term
- A global Leadership In Action project to take place abroad during the Long vacation
Work with local schools to design and deliver a programme of extra-curricular activities that will give pupils access to University resources in areas such as music, drama, debating, and sport. Conduct research to support the design of the programme and evidence its impact.
Join with students from other universities in the Laidlaw network, applying your leadership and research skills to contribute to a leadership-in-action initiative around the world.
- The deadline to submit your application is: Monday 25th March 2024 (midday)
- If you are successful, you will be invited to a short online interview which will take place in April 2024.
- We will announce our final selection no later than Friday April 26th 2024
Sign up here to join an online Q&A session to take place on Wednesday 6th March 2024.
Follow the steps below to apply to be an Oxford Laidlaw Scholar
In your application you will have to answer three questions. To answer these questions, you will submit:
- a written application up to a maximum of 600 words in length (no more than 200 words for each question).
You will also need to submit:
A current CV
Contact us at email@example.com if you would like to know more about the programme, or have any questions.
Or come and see us at the Oxford SDG Impact Lab! Send an email and we'd be happy to arrange a time to talk with you in-person about the programme.